Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Room Reveal: The Breakfast Room

Since I have come to terms that our house will constantly be a work in progress and that it will take years for me to get what I want throughout our house, I am just going to be posting rooms as I am able to take photos of them and share them with you. The rooms in my house don’t look near of what I want them look, but I have to constantly remind myself that we have only been living in the house for a month. It’s not going to come together by a snap of the finger. Even as I share this room with you, I already have a to do list to complete in here.

I am constantly reminding myself that homes take years to really get them the way you want them, and by that time some things will be outdated and need to be renovated again. Luckily, I like more of a classic style, so hopefully I won’t have to trade as many things out through the years, but I know that there will always be a need in my head to change things up from time to time. It’s just something I love doing. Unfortunately, I’m just a school teacher with a small salary that can’t afford all of the fancy things in life that will ultimately be meaningless in my eternal home. Therefore, I resort to finding items that resemble all of those items I love without the price tag, and I remember all of the blessings that I have been given thus far in my life. That helps bring all that is important to the forefront, and I become thankful for all that I have been given. With that being said, I do enjoy taking pride in my home and making it reflect who we are.

Since we have moved into the house, we have painted every single room in the house except for one, which I have most recently decided on a color for. We also haven’t gotten to the guest bath, which I’m beginning to think I’m going to do a little something different with.

The breakfast room is a room though that gets used almost daily by my little cousin that comes home with me every afternoon and Colby who uses it as a place to sit down and take care of lawn business.

New House Dining Room

To me, it doesn’t even resemble the same room with the exception of the light fixture, and I plan to change it even more than it has been thus far. You can see my to-do list below:

  • New Rug
  • Paint the dining furniture with white chalk paint
  • Design vignette for buffet
  • Wall art for behind the buffet

For those of you who might want to know, the wall paint color is Benjamin Moore Shale, and the trim is Benjamin Moore White Diamond.

To achieve the look I am going for, I am thinking about doing something along these lines for the buffet.

buffet vignette

Two lamps and mirror or two lamps and some wall art would be perfect I think. It would also provide some extra light when you don’t want to turn on the dining lights. What’s even better is that I already have a piece of wall art in mind…..a family piece, a Willoweise piece. If you’re in the Langham family, you know exactly what I’m talking about. It only needs to be framed and matted.

And do you see how great the furniture looks in white? O.M.G. My heart adores white, while others just don’t see how I can. I think I love it so much because it brings a piece of furniture that looks like your granny had it and makes it look more modern while still holding all of its character.

In addition to painting the furniture and making the buffet over, I desperately need a new rug other than the one I bought for $30 at Old Time Pottery. What was supposed to be a make-do turned into a more permanent situation, but that is all about to change!

rug

This little pretty is from World Market, and it is just what I think would pull together the more casual look that I’m wanting in the breakfast room. Plus, if I get tired of it in there, I can more than likely use it in some other part of the house. Just a thought!

Well, I can’t wait to show you more! Check by this week and hopefully I will have some more!

1 comment:

  1. It looks great! Which Willoweise are you going to frame? Any of them would look great. I just can't wait to see the house interior in person.

    ReplyDelete