Monday, June 30, 2014

A Weakness

I have this huge weakness when it comes to my house. I’m terrible at accessorizing. Seeing as how I’m not good at accessorizing myself, it comes as no surprise that I can’t apply the same techniques in my home.

What bothers me worse? Our built-in bookshelves. I cannot style them for the LIFE of me. It’s like it’s nearly impossible for me to do. I pin bookcases on Pinterest and always eye the ones I see on some HGTV show that just seem to pull the entire room together. I study these pictures and shows constantly, but I still have poorly styled bookcases in my home.

It’s like I just threw in everything that doesn’t have a home, which is basically true. Not to mention the fact that there’s not that much stuff around that doesn’t have a home to fill them up with since I can’t pick out accessories! It’s ridiculous really.

I think it’s really just a fear of having too many tchotchkes lying around that makes it look like your Great Aunt Milly moved in and brought her 100 years of possessions with her. I DO NOT like clutter, so I fail in the styling department. 

Remember that fear I told you not have in picking out paint colors and switching furniture around to different rooms? It’s the same fear I’m dealing with that I’m determined to beat. Then, I want have to be unhappy every time I watch television and see those mismatched accessories with no home.

I’m not going to show you my sad little built-ins today. I’m saving that for later this week since we {or I should say Colby} painted them and brightened the whole room up tremendously.

For now, I’m just going to show you some excellently styled bookcases for you to study and get some inspiration from.

Bookcase 1

bookcase 2

bookcase

bookcase 3

bookcase 4

What do you think is essential in making styled bookcases look amazing?

P.S. If you need more bookshelf inspiration, click on over to my Pinterest board linked here.

No comments:

Post a Comment