Friday, January 2, 2015

Transformation in Progress

When Colby and I first moved into the house, I decided I was going to paint our dining room furniture. It was an ugly wood laminate that just looked bland. For the sake of saving money, I decided I would paint it. It was my first piece of {large} furniture that I tackled in the painting department. Little did I know that it would leave me wanting to paint more and more!

This is the before and after…

New-House-Dining-Room_thumb3

New-House-Dining-Room_thumb4

After living with it for a while, I decided I was not a fan of the china cabinet. You just couldn’t see my milk glass, and that’s what I was trying to accent.

When I had first began the project, I had the intention of painting the back of it after seeing Katie’s from Bower Power. Her blog is what actually inspired the whole furniture transformation in the first place. So, I finally decided to paint the back of it.

IMG_9133

After finishing it, I liked it, but didn’t love it. It was still missing something, but what?

Then, I saw Nester’s black wall with white random paint marks and Centsational Girl’s spots.

Nester black wall

spotted-besta-billy-bookcases

So, what’s a girl to do? I went to the store and bought the supplies for both projects until I decided which I wanted to do.

I went with Nester’s quick and easy approach. I figured if I didn’t like it I could always repaint and start over and do the other. Luckily, I liked it, so there wasn’t any need to redo.

All it took was a paint brush and some white acrylic paint and about 25 minutes.

Prepare yourselves because it is perfectly imperfect.

IMG_9142

IMG_9167

But what really matters? I like it. If there is anything I’ve learned from the Nester, it’s to make your house work for you, take a chance, and if you don’t like it, you can typically change it pretty easily. If you haven’t read her book and want to make changes in your home this year, start your year off right and read “The Nesting Place.”

According to her, “It doesn’t have to be perfect to be beautiful.”

it doesn't have to be perfect

1 comment:

  1. I'm shocked that you did this! I love it, but can't believe that you'd go for it. It looks like something I would do!!

    ReplyDelete