Tuesday, January 6, 2015

When Life Gives You Limes…

Make yourself a key lime cake!

IMG_9201

At our school, we have two “special snack days.” If you’re on a diet, it is in your best interest to avoid this area of the school at all costs on these days. The teachers at our school pull out their best recipes {with probably the most calories} and bring them in for all to enjoy.

One of my favorite {of MANY} is a key lime cake made by one of our 1st grade teachers. On a whim, I decided I wanted to make it this week, and so I asked for the recipe.

Y’all, it was so easy!

Here’s what you need to make the cake…

  • 1 box of Lemon Supreme cake mix
  • 1 box of lime gelatin
  • 1 cup of vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup of orange juice
  • 4 eggs

For the glaze…

  • Confectioners sugar
  • Lemon flavor
  • Milk

The instructions for the cake are as easy as this…

  • Mix it all up!
  • Follow the baking instructions on the box to find what to set your oven to and for how long to bake it. I made two round layers out of this recipe.
  • Once the cake is finished baking, mix up the ingredients for the glaze together. I put each cake layer on a plate to cool. Then, I poured the glaze over the top. Then, I transferred the first layer onto my cake plate for the next step that I added.

I then decided to follow Trisha Yearwood’s recipe and make a cream cheese icing with some lime flavoring to “pretty” it up. Don’t put it on too quick after the glaze is put on! You’ll be fighting a losing battle.

For the icing, which is totally optional, you will need to follow these directions…

  • 1 stick of  butter, room temperature
  • 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 (1-lb) box confectioners’ sugar
  • Lime juice for flavoring

Cream the butter and cream cheese. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar until the mixture is smooth and easy to spread. Spread the icing between the layers and on the top and sides of the cake.

If you did it all right, you should be eating one of the most moist cakes you will ever eat! I’ve may or may have not eaten a slice every night. My pants are begging me to stop, but it’s SO GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment